Friday 4 March 2011

Baptism of Fire

It's been a while since my last posting over two weeks ago but then I've not been doing much other than the occasional jog on the paths around home. I've also felt like a cold has been about to start for a while but in true form it never does.

I had intended to get a reasonable bike ride done in preparation for the postponed Christmas Cracker Sportive but on the Sunday I was going to get out I got the bike out of the door and everything felt cold and damp and I wasn't feeling 100% so just went "sod it!" and pulled the bike back inside! Consequently the actual event last Sunday was fine up to about 40 miles when I began to get cramp so the section through Grizedale and Hawkshead wasn't very pleasant.

The rest of the ride was OK if a little like an obstacle course due to the amount of pot holes in the road at some point. I ended up with a time of 4:47 but that was with around 35 - 45 minutes of stops for various reasons (I don't know exactly how much since I hadn't a watch with me and I'd left my cyclo-computer at home).


On a different note - I saw the first curlews of the year this morning along with a couple of lapwings. Looks like spring is on its way, our daffs think so anyway.

It's all been quite dry this week so hopefully it will last over the weekend and I can get some climbing done.

No comments:

Post a Comment