Monday 14 September 2009

To the Left ...

It occurred to me last night that all my major injuries have been to the left side of my body. I'm not talking just about the last week but throughout my life.

My first major injury, i.e. one which required hospital treatment was when I broke my left thumb skiing down the Mer de Glace above Chamonix in 1987. Not being a very good skier plus skiing in mountaineering boots and carrying a sack full of climbing gear meant that the accident was inevitable. It must have been something to see me nearly make the backward somersault when I hit the pressure ridge in the ice! My left thumb took the full force of that one - and again when I repeated the feat ten minutes later.

It was 1993 following an altercation with a Peugeot 405 estate outside our house that I next made the acquaintance of A&E facilities. A short flying lesson followed by a slightly longer journey in a very nice ambulance lead to three days in hospital and thirteen weeks in a full length plaster on my left leg. The main break was a fracture to the fibula but there was also some knee damage: a fractured tibial plateau and it was this that led to the extended time in plaster. At the time I didn't realise just how bad the injury to my knee was and it was only last year when the arthritis started that I found out.

Now this.

Currently the right-hand side of my body is very worried!

No comments:

Post a Comment